Sunday, May 2, 2021

Chilling in the Oeste (Day 5-9)

Since I’m working the bulk of the time I’m in Puerto Rico, I’ve spent most of my time the last few days hanging close to my new home. Here's the view of my condo from the ocean.

There is a small beach (Playa Azul/Playa Arenas) just outside my AirBnB, so I’m aiming to go down for a walk and/or a swim each day. I’ve also decided that as payment for the privilege of walking the beach, I will pick up a bag of trash each day. Here’s my booty from my Day 1:

Here are the things I have learned about Puerto Rico so far:

  • We really like our plantains here. I've had mofongo, amarillos, and tostones so far, and I've no doubt there will be more ways to eat plantains.
  • They are 7 billion beaches to choose from. I've had the chance to visit 3 in addition to the one outside my door. They're all pretty.
  • We put whip cream and cinnamon on our cappuccinos. Fabuloso, if I do say so myself.
  • We dig the Puerto Rico flag. It is everyone, including painted on the side of many people's houses. Long live the Patria!
  • "Se come la 's'" - this is a throw-back phrase I learned in Spain to describe Spanish accents that don't pronounce the 's' sound in certain situations. This applies to many varieties of Caribbean Spanish, including Puerto Rico. For all you cool cats who like linguistics, you can find more here
Here is some photographic proof:




Finally, can you guess what my final destination was of today's adventure? I'll give you a photographic hint.


If you guessed salt, you're correct. I visited the salt flats in the southwestern corner of the island. Hot, crunchy, strange stuff. I did taste the salt. It was delicious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh, looks amazing! Do you have a favorite beach yet? :)

Tristinn said...

Hmm, Boquerón so far, but I've only seen about 5 beaches, so there's still time for that to change.