Monday, January 17, 2011

Becoming a Mom(ish)

Of all the things I expected to do as a missionary, becoming a mom was not one of them. Let’s see if I can explain…

I live with a single mom and her nine-year-old son. Yolanda the mom goes to work every day, comes home, makes dinner and then usually proceeds to watch tv in her room and fall asleep. This means that Fabian is home by himself A LOT. Since I arrived, I’ve become one third mom, one third teacher, one third annoying sister. I usually make him lunch, I help him study, I put him to bed and I read to him. He follows me around at home and at school and wants to do or try EVERYTHING that I’m doing. He won’t go to sleep until I get home and he sleeps in the other bed in my room.

No place is sacred. Every drawer and every bag that I have has been opened and examined. I have to be prepared to share anything I buy and bring home because my child will inevitably ask to have some. Not even the bathroom is a haven (although the bathroom does have a lock) - just yesterday I was dressing in the bathroom when Fabian began to tell me to hurry up. After lots of pleading, I opened the bathroom door and there was Fabian sitting on the floor with his underwear on his head, waiting "patiently" for the bathroom.

Fabian drives me crazy but there are also times when I’m definitely thankful God put him in my life. No one can teach you to be less selfish and more loving than a kid.







1 comment:

Katie Roddy said...

Momma Tristinn!! I'm so glad you are such a cool person to everyone you meet