Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Arrival

I have been in Costa Rica for 24 hours. Who knew so much could happen in 24 hours? When Nickele and I arrived the Pastor and his wife came to pick us up. In the hour long car ride to his house, I learned (in Spanish of course) that Nickele and I are going to be engaged before we leave, we get to do music at church as soon as possible, once a church has about 80-100 members it splits to form more churches, and that the Pastor knew we were the volunteers because everyone else was wearing earrings.

Nickele and I came to Monteverde this morning. It's literally a tiny town up an hour long pot-holed road in the jungle. I'm excited!!! We are each living with a host family right next to the school. So far so good. As far as the school goes, I've learned that I will be teaching Bible, Math, and music. And of course, lots and lots of English. Nickele is helping with kindergarten.

Tonight, since Nickele and I wanted internet, we came with the English teacher to where she teaches english to the public school highschoolers. She had the kids introduce themselves in English - the kids immediately wanted us to introduce ourselves in Spanish. I've never seen kids so sad to see that we could speak Spanish. Then she had the kids give us a tour in English of the town. I've now met every store owner in town - even the mayor.

As I said, who knew so much could happen in one day?

No comments: